City of Des Moines Business License

Welcome to the City of Des Moines Citizen Connect portal for Business License.  If additional assistance is needed, contact the business license clerk at (206) 870-6535.

For business and occupation tax forms and information, please call (206) 870-7582 ext 112.

Click above to search for and view business license applications for the City of Des Moines, Washington.
Renew Business License
You can renew your business license online.  Click the link above to start the renewal process.
Apply for Business License
You can apply for a City Business License online.  To start the process click the link above.  You can apply online for the following business licenses:  Adult Family Home, In-City Commercial, Out-Of-City Commercial, Family Day Care, Home Occupation, Single-Unit Rental of Real Property and Multi-Unit Rental of Real Property.  All other business license must be applied for in person at the City of Des Moines City Hall.
Fill out and pay online. Completed application and payment confirmation is sent directly to the business license coordinator.

How to apply online for a permit
  1. First time users must create an online account before you can log-in. (see the link to register at the top of the page)
  2. Log-in and follow the prompts to fill in the required information on the application.
  3. Use your MasterCard or Visa to process and provide payment.
  4. Submit your application (this emails the application to City staff for a quick review).
  5. Watch for a return email letting you know that your application has been approved.
There is a $4.50 service and processing fee for all online payments. This fee is assessed and collected by the credit card processing company and does not go to the city.

The following Type of Business License can be applied for online:

  • Adult Family Home
  • In-City Commercial
  • Out-Of-City Commercial
  • Family Day Care
  • Home Occupation
  • Single-Unit Rental of Real Property
  • Multi-Unit Rental of Real Property

All other business license must be applied for in person at the City of Des Moines City Hall.
My License
My License allows you to track license applications so you don't have to search for them each time you use Citizens Connect. You must have an account before you can select any License to track.  To track a license, you can opt in to track that license at the bottom of the license information page.